FOMR’s fall benthic monitoring was completed on October 18th. Seven certified monitors and nine assistant monitors helped collect the critters and record the data.
Each site monitored receives a “score” – a number between 0 and 12 – from the VA Save Our Streams (SOS) Multimetric Index. The SOS Multimetric Index score is a representation of the suitability of the stream for aquatic life. The score is determined by the number and kind of aquatic critters found in a water sample. You will find more info on our benthic monitoring program by clicking here.
- An SOS Index score of 9 to 12 = Acceptable ecological condition
- An SOS Index score of 8 = Ecological condition cannot be determined at this time (Gray Zone)
- An SOS Index score of 0 to 7 = Unacceptable ecological condition
Sites & Scores (all sites are on main stem of Middle River):
- Summerdean Road (west of Middlebrook) 4 view graph
- Cattleman Road, Swoope 5 view graph
- Dog Back Lane, Swoope 9 view graph
- Green Hills Lane, Churchville 8 view graph
- Eastwood Drive, Churchville 8 view graph
- Honeysuckle Hill, Middle River Road, Franks Mill 8 view graph
- River Ridge, Verona 7 view graph
- Cline Lane, Laurel Hill 9 view graph
- Dam Town Road, Ft. Defiance 9 view graph
Many thanks to the following FOMR volunteers who collected the samples and counted the critters: Pete Cooper, Paul Bugas, Sherry Stanley, Sara Jordan, Ann Cline, Adrie Voors, Chris & Kaylee Kasnosky, Reese Bull, Phillip Davis, Dustin Staton, Rick Chittum, David Fuller, and Whit Morriss. Thank you to Kate Guenther for recording the data for FOMR.